Here’s what you need
– 1.5 x Dead Man’s Drop black spiced rum
– 1 x lemon juice – that’s about half a lemon
– 1 x simple syrup
– 3 x splashes of chocolate bitters
– 3 x teaspoons of egg white (optional)
Here’s what you do
1. Shake ingredients with plenty of ice or stir vigorously until you see a head forming the shaker.
2. Pour into a cocktail glass or into a tumbler over a large ice cube.
If you don’t have chocolate bitters, regular bitters should still do the trick.
The egg white gives the drink a more permanent head and also gives a more velvety mouth feel. You don’t need to add the egg white.
Sugar syrup is really easy. Make a 1:2 ratio of caster sugar and hot water in a glass. Then drop an ice cube in and stir it up to cool the mix down. 1 tablespoon of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water should be enough for this drink.
The sharpness of the lemon counteracts the sweetness of the rum and vanilla but allows the herbs and spices to come through. It also enhances the orange flavours. The syrup curbs the overly sour edges of the lemon.
I’ve been dying to use this chocolate bitters for ages and I think I’ve found its spiritual home. The choc smell works well with the vanilla and rum and its almost savoury bitterness works well with the syrup and lemon.